Monday, March 14, 2005

The Freelance Daily N.C.A.A. Anti-Office Pool

If you’re even remotely like me, there’s not much you miss about working a 9-to-5 job at an fluorescent-lit office pit. Not least of which is your annual contribution to the office NCAA tournament pool. At least it was always a contribution in my case. Even though I am a former sports writer, I personally I know so little about basketball it would have been far more entertaining for me to take a cigarette lighter to that $5 or $10 bill each year.

Still, some ex-office drones might be missing certain creature comforts of cubicle culture, so I present the Freelance Daily NCAA Anti-Office Pool (I promise, no Freelance Daily Secret Santa or blood drives!).

Because enough of you have sent venomous emails telling me how evil I am for beginning to charge for FD, I have done two things:

1) There is no entry fee, so you can’t report me to the proper authorities for running an illegal gambling operation. Likewise, this is very much a “no purchase necessary” contest.
2) I have made first prize a one year subscription to Freelance Daily. If you’ve already paid, don’t worry. The grand prize subscription will be tacked on to your existing subscription.
3) Second prize is six-month subscription and third prize is a three-month subscription.

To play, you just need to visit http://bracketmanager.com/enterBracket. You will need to set up a free user name, and then fill out your bracket online. After you have submitted your bracket, you need to click on “Edit League #.” When asked for a league number, enter 680. When asked for a password, enter officespace.

I should note I have never organized one of these online and have never used this company’s software, so I have my fingers crossed it will work. As best I can tell, it looks like we also have a chance of winning $250 (I’m not certain on this), so even if you have a comp subscription, it might be worth your while to play.