Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Scam Alert

I regrettably posted a data-entry job yesterday that is a scam. I hesitated on including it, went against my gut and, after checking it out myself and receiving several emails from readers, I now feel like a knucklehead.

Please disregard this job listing from this yesterday’s edition of Freelance Daily:

Data entry
At home Data Entry Position, great opportunity for stay at home moms or anyone who wants to work in the comfort of your own home.Requirements: You will need a computer with Internet access, valid email address, good typing skills and basic Internet knowledge. You will be processing orders from your computer. How much you earn is up to you. The average salary is $300 - $500 per week depending on if you are working part or full time. If you would like more information, please contact dataprocessing@optonline.net instead of sending a resume. Also good for entry-level. dataprocessing@optonline.net
(Posted 11/22/04)

Essentially, they tell you to send $15 for your training materials. After you fork over the money, they send you information labeled as “training materials” that tell you how to set up your own “data entry” scam.

While it would be impossible for me to investigate the legitimacy of every job posted, please accept my apologies and my promise to make every effort to avoid such postings in the future.