Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Policy Notes

I received an email from a reader today who said he would like to make a donation but wouldn’t because of my decision to include “adult” writing leads in Freelance Daily. He also raised concerns about the lack of response from some of the people who post ads on Craig’s List.

My response to him might make my policies and how I select leads for FD a bit clearer, so I’m including it here:

Thanks for voicing your concerns. Freelance Daily is very much a work in progress, so input is always appreciated.

My goal is to screen close to 200 sites that provide freelance writing job leads each day for PAYING positions. I try to do this as objectively as possible and try to include any position that would be a PAYING position -- even if I find the content personally offensive.

As an aside, I do not include full-time, permanent positions, as this newsletter is targeted at writers and editors who make all or a significant portion of their income from freelance and contract work.

The purpose of Freelance Daily is to free freelance writers from having to search these sites themselves so they can focus on what is important: writing, responding to leads, and growing their business. For that reason -- and believe me, I have struggled with this issue before your email -- I will continue to include ALL ads which are clearly (and even not so clearly) paying job leads.

As for job posters who do not respond to your inquires, I unfortunately cannot accept responsibility for their actions. And, with roughly 40 leads per day, it would be unrealistic for me to screen each ad (although I do occasionally check leads that look too-good-to-be true or need clarification).

On the up side, I'm happy to hear you found a job through Freelance Daily. I respect your decision to not donate because of the adult-oriented ads, but I do hope you will continue to subscribe.

- DC